The combination of chilli powder in the seasoning, along with a fresh hot chilli pepper really gets your senses flaring! It also allows the slightly spicy nature of daikon radish to come through. Adding beef to the mix really enhances everything!
This dish makes for an excellent low-carb dinner- the straw mushrooms have a great noodle-like quality, and the crunch and bulk of the daikon is very satisfying. This is also a good budget meal- by adding in the meaty shitaki mushrooms you can really extend the meat quality without using too much. Also, because even lean beef still has a higher fat content, I like to cook it without adding extra oil to the pan. However, that’s just my preference- you can feel free to cook however you like!
Spicy Beef+Veggie Stir fry
800g extra lean beef (or desired meat)
1 daikon radish
1 broccoli stalk
6-7 shitaki mushrooms
1 pkg straw mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
big knob of ginger (I used lots!)
1 red chilli pepper (you can use less- its pretty hot!)
2 tbsp chilli powder
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp onion powder (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
*You don’t have to use as much spice as I did- I like lots of flavour!
1. Saute minced garlic and ginger til fragrant. I generally don’t cook with oil, but you can go ahead if you want!
2. Chop your daikon and add to the pans. (I used to pans to fit everything)
3. Allow to cook for a 5 or so minutes, then chop and add your broccoli. Allow to cook til bright green or tender crisp, then remove from heat.
4. Meanwhile, combine your spices.
5. Cut your beef into thin strips. This is easiest when your beef is frozen.
6. Add beef to a separate pan with spice mix. Saute for a couple minutes then add your chopped shitake mushrooms. Cook over med to low heat- you don’t want to overcook! Add your straw mushrooms, turn off heat and stir. The straw mushrooms will cook in the residual heat.
7. Plate by pilling your veggie mix and then topping with the beef mix. Garnish with hot pepper and enjoy!
*Bonus points for you if you get “clean and safe” meat :)
How spicy do you like to eat? :)